Sponsor an Element Campaign
Once completed summer 2016, our new Biology and Chemistry Laboratories will enable us to provide an even better education for the current and future generations of Reading School pupils. We still need to raise enough money to fit out and furnish the laboratories with benches and key items of equipment, and we estimate the total cost of this will be around £250 per pupil.
The Sponsor an Element Campaign provides an opportunity for members of the school community to contribute to this vital project. The cost of sponsoring an individual element ranges from:
- £2,500 will sponsor one of the eight noble metals—Gold, Platinum, Silver, Palladium, Ruthenium, Rhodium, Osmium and Iridium, or one of the two main building blocks of life on earth Hydrogen and Oxygen. Ten donors at £2,500 will cover the cost of equipping and furnishing one laboratory.
- £1,000 will sponsor one of the six noble gases (Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, Radon) or one of the elements essential for life (Carbon, Nitrogen, Magnesium, Chlorine, Copper, Iron, Sodium, and Potassium). Ten sponsors at £1,000 will cover the cost of teachers’ demonstration desks and teaching equipment (projector, visualiser, sliding whiteboard, etc) in three laboratories.
- £500 will sponsor one of the 30 elements in the Lanthanides and Actinides Series, including the rare earth metals Plutonium, Uranium, Europium, Einsteinium, Curium, Cerium, Mendelevium, and Nobelium. Six donors giving £500 each would cover the cost of buying a fume cupboard for one of the new chemistry laboratories.
- £250 will sponsor one of the remaining 60 elements that have been discovered to date, and will help to put all the finishing touches to these essential classrooms. These elements include Titanium, Calcium, Radium, Caesium, Tin, Iodine, Arsenic, Phospherous, Silicon, Zinc, Barium, Strontium and Fluorine. 60 Sponsors would enable us to fit out one of the two Prep Rooms in the new building.
As well as sponsoring an element, you can also support the appeal in other ways. For instance by making a donation of:
- Diamond Donor at £120 you will help cover the cost of buying glassware such as test tubes and beakers for one laboratory for a year - that’s enough for approximately 150 practical science lessons for a class of 32 boys
- Pearl Donor at £50 you would enable us to buy a supply of Bunsen burners or of boiling tubes for one laboratory for a year
All donors will be recognised on a board in the new building. Sponsors of individual elements will also be able to nominate a name/s to appear on the large period table which will be permanently displayed in the lobby of the new building. All donors will also receive an invitation to the grand opening of the new building.
Whether you choose an element to match your age, the initials of a loved one, or because you feel it is significant for life on earth, you will be enabling us to continue to inspire future generations of scientists, doctors and engineers.
Find out if your favourite element is still available by contacting the school office (0118 9015600 or secretary@reading-School.co.uk).