The Co-curricular Programme is designed to enable boys to extend their aspirations, skills and range of interests beyond the classroom, and to help them to develop socially and emotionally so that they can grow in maturity and self-confidence. Growing evidence suggests that co-curricular activities have a positive impact on academic attainment.
Unfortunately, our core funding from the Department for Education does not cover the cost of running co-curricular activities. Staff volunteer their time spent in running the activities, so the expenses involved are purely the direct costs of running each club. We try to keep these to a minimum. However, we usually have to pay for materials and equipment, hire costs for some sports activities, as well as travel and refreshments for away games and trips to outside venues.
Currently there are over 50 enrichment activities available to students, at lunch-time and after-school, including:
- Arts, Drama and Debating
- Service Activities - CCF, Duke of Edinburgh and Community Service through Future Stories
- Specialist Clubs and Societies
- Spirituality and Contemplation groups
- House Competitions; and
- Events, Inspire Lectures, Trips, and Expeditions
- Co-curricular activities are an essential part of the education that we offer at Reading School. They are an important counterpoint to academic work and enable boys to develop leadership skills and to explore interests and skills that will help them to fulfil their potential. They are also key to the development of skills that are difficult to learn in the classroom alone. Attributes such as resilience, self-reliance, empathy, the ability to communicate with and to work with others are all essential to living a full and successful life in the modern world.
- We provide over 50 co-curricular and leadership activities throughout the year but are only touching the surface at a total annual cost of £67,000.
- Fencing, Berzerk Drama and Lamda, Lacrosse, DofE and CCF have additional charges as these are facilitated by an external company.
- Help us reach our target of £150,000 so we can build on our Co-curricular offering to develop our pupils . We want to give every boy the opportunity to challenge and surprise himself by providing opportunities to encourage creative thinking and innovation.
If you have any queries, please contact the Development Office by email email@example.com.